Thursday, December 8

The 13th Annual Soaphunks.net Awards Roundtable!

The ballot for the 13th Annual Soaphunks.net Awards has just made its debut, and as has become tradition, three of my site's contributors (Jason, DC, and Soapgal) held their annual roundtable in which they discussed the nominations, explained why certain nominees got their votes, and predicted the winners in each race. We'll see how smart they were on Wednesday, December 21, when the winners are revealed live at soaphunks.net/chat at 10pm ET/7pm ET. (Hint: last year they were WAY off the mark! lol)
If you haven't voted yet, please do so at soaphunks.net/vote by Dec. 14. Hencewith, the transcript of their online meeting.


Jason: Well, here we are again.


DC: ...unlike many of the daytime soaps .
Jason: Good point, DC.
Soapgal:  I know.
Jason: Glad to celebrate their hunkery while we still can.
Soapgal: Yeah.
DC: Definitely.
Jason: So, what do you two think of this year's nominees overall?  Is Soapy on crack, or are you happy with them?
Soapgal: I didn't have much problem with them overall, but I didn't like some categories.
DC: Since I was responsible for coming up with evidence for the nominees, I have to say they all seemed pretty worthy. I have a few gripes, but we'll get to those later.
Jason: LOL...Well, let's get to the categories then.
Jason: Best Face....It is probably a surprise to some that Andrew Trischitta nabbed a couple of nominations, including this category.
DC: I still think he has a baby face, but it's not a bad mug.
Soapgal: Yeah, he's not ugly, but I don't think he has one of the five best faces in daytime.
Jason: This is a category where I really had to let the evidence speak to me.
DC: It was really down to 2 choices for me, Adam Gregory or Nic Robuck.
Soapgal: This was the category I was least enthusiastic about. DC, those were my top two choices as well, and I voted for Adam Gregory.
Jason: Ultimately, I voted for Casey Deidrick, but I think Adam Gregory will win.
DC: Interesting. I voted for Nic. I think Adam will probably win as well.
Jason: Soapgal, who do you think will win?
DC: it would have been nice to get a bit more diversity in there for sure.
Soapgal: I guess Adam Gregory, but most B&B people don't do well in this contest, do they? The evidence probably will help Adam, though.
DC: Beemer does well.
Soapgal: True, but isn't that because he was on days first?
DC: it certainly doesn't hurt
Jason: Yes, the less tech saavy folks tend to watch B&B.
Soapgal: Yeah, those fans are pretty passionate.


BEST FACE
WHO SHOULD WIN
WHO WILL WIN
Jason
Casey Deidrick
Adam Gregory
DC
Nic Robuck
Adam Gregory
Soapgal
Adam Gregory
Adam Gregory



Jason: B&B guys also popped up in the Best Eyes category, including Brandon Beemer, who has won 5 years running.
Soapgal: I just had to go with my man Mark Lawson in this category. He has great eyes, in my opinion.
Jason: I have voted for Beemer in the past, but I went with Mark Lawson this time as well.
DC: This was another category that came down to two possibilities for me. I love Mark Lawson, despite the character assassination on OLTL in recent months, but it was between Adam Gregory & Chandler Massey. I studied the evidence on this one long and hard! Those two seemed to be the best, in my opinion.  I ended up voting for Chandler.
Soapgal: He has great eyes, too. Really, I think all the guys were worthy.
DC: Yes, definitely. It's great how all their eyes actually compliment their faces.
Jason: But I think this will once again be Beemer's to lose.
Soapgal: Yeah, I agree.
DC: I am calling for an upset victory by Chandler Massey.
Jason: Whoa, going out on a limb!
DC: Yes!
Soapgal: I'm curious to see how he will do this year. He's beginning to get a higher profile on DAYS.
DC: Hey, DAYS fans are passionate! I agree, Soapgal. That will be interesting.



BEST EYES
WHO SHOULD WIN
WHO WILL WIN
Jason
Mark Lawson
Brandon Beemer
DC
Chandler Massey
Chandler Massey
Soapgal
Mark Lawson
Brandon Beemer


Jason: You had to use your eyes to decide on Best Eyes, but for the next category, you needed your ears.  Whose voice made you swoon this year?
Soapgal: I picked David Fumero. I always thought he had a sexy voice.
DC: I chose the reigning champion himself, James Scott!
Jason: I actually picked the new voice this year, Bren Foster.
Soapgal: And I must give props to Soapy for including someone who had a nice singing voice, Scott Reeves. That was a refreshing addition.
DC: Yes, these were good nominees as well.
Soapgal: I agree.
DC: Bren does have a great voice. He was my second choice.
DC: James Scott will win!
Soapgal: Yeah, no doubt.
DC: And it will be well-deserved.
Jason: I would have to go with Scott for the win, too.



BEST VOICE
WHO SHOULD WIN
WHO WILL WIN
Jason
Bren Foster
James Scott
DC
James Scott
James Scott
Soapgal
David Fumero
James Scott


Jason: Well, whose teethy grin is well deserved for Best Smile?
DC: I voted for Chandler Massey. Now I didn't plan this DAYS trend before I looked at the evidence, but it seems to be turning out that way so far.  I actually turned against one of my all-time favorite soap hunks, Jordi Vilasuso in favor of Chandler's infectious grin.
Soapgal: I voted for Scott Clifton. I'd like to see a non-hunky guy win one of these awards. Plus, he has a great smile.
Jason: I was torn between Deidrick and Clifton.  But I ultimately went with Deidrick
DC: I have to say this category was a tough one as well, though, because all 5 guys have killer smiles and they don't mind showing them. Evidence was quite easy to find.
Soapgal: By the way, you did a GREAT job collecting evidence, DC.
DC: Thanks, Soapgal!
DC: It will be interesting to see if the DAYS fans split the vote between Massey & Deidrick.
Soapgal: Yeah, I have no idea who's more popular.
Jason: I think because of that split, Vilasuso could pull an upset.
DC: I would love to see that, Jason.
DC: I am going to peg Chandler Massey to win, though.
Soapgal: I think I'll pick Jordi to win, too.



BEST SMILE
WHO SHOULD WIN
WHO WILL WIN
Jason
Casey Deidrick
Jordi Vilasuso
DC
Chandler Massey
Chandler Massey
Soapgal
Scott Clifton
Jordi Vilasuso


Jason: Who had the finest follicles in your opinion?  I went with my man Brandon Barash.  I love his hair!  Along with other parts of him, too.
Soapgal: I voted for Adam Gregory, but this was another category I wasn't too excited about.
DC: This one wasn't too tough for me since I'm not a fan of one of them, and I think the hair on two of the others is a bit blah. I voted for Casey Deidrick. I like his 'do these days.
Soapgal: I bet he wins, too.
Jason: I think fans will either love or hate Andrew Trischitta's hair.  Not much in between there.
DC: I'm not a big fan of the mop top on Trischitta, though he wears it well.
DC: As for who will win, I think this is a major toss-up category, and it's anyone's victory. I am going to randomly guess that John-Paul Lavoisier will win. Folks do like their blonds!
Soapgal: True, DC.
Jason: I think it's a toss up as well.  I'm going with Deidrick.



BEST HAIR
WHO SHOULD WIN
WHO WILL WIN
Jason
Brandon Barash
Casey Deidrick
DC
Casey Deidrick
John-Paul Lavoisier
Soapgal
Adam Gregory
Casey Deidrick


Jason: I wonder who Soapgal voted for in the Best Arms category?
Soapgal: LOL, you already know, don't you?
DC: I believe she and I both chose the wonderful Mark Lawson.
Jason: I actually was compelled to vote for Mr. Lawson as well, after looking at the evidence.
DC: Carrying all those babies around in Llanview is quite an arm workout!  Lawson's biceps are fantastic.
Soapgal: And thank you, Jason for pointing out that the EVIDENCE supported Mark. Soapy gave me such grief about that.
Jason: But do you think “Llanview's Best Arms” will win again this year?
DC: David Fumero and the other guys are quite worthy to be nominees. However, I think Llanview now has a new pair of Best Arms.
Soapgal: Hear, hear! Too bad the show won't be around to tout Mark's win, if it happens.
DC: That's true.We do have one guarantee. Someone from DAYS or OLTL will win this one.
Soapgal: LOL
Jason: LOL. True.  Soapy will demand more of a prediction than that, though. Who wins?
DC: Mark Lawson wins!
Soapgal: I think this will begin the big David A. Gregory win parade.
DC: You're probably right, but I'll hold out hope.
Jason: I think you're right, Soapgal.
Soapgal: keeping my fingers crossed, too, DC.



BEST ARMS
WHO SHOULD WIN
WHO WILL WIN
Jason
Mark Lawson
David A. Gregory
DC
Mark Lawson
Mark Lawson
Soapgal
Mark Lawson
David A. Gregory


Jason: Whose Booty was most Booty-ful for you?  Thanks to DC's wonderful evidence, I had an easy time deciding.  I went with Brandon Beemer.
DC: This one was another toughy for me. Oddly enough, since we just mentioned his parade beginning, I voted for David A. Gregory.
Soapgal: I threw a vote to David A. Gregory. This category in general usually doesn't excite me much.
Jason: Soapgal's always the butt of Soapy's jokes anyway.
DC: Oh, this category is always one of my favorites!  I have to say though, after looking at the evidence, I really really wanted to slap Josh Kelly's nice derriere
Soapgal: LOL. The only year i liked it is when one guy --Was it Dominic Zamprongna? -- had posed nude.
DC: We've had several fully nude nominees before. This year, the boys were a bit more reserved, but still booty-ful. I think David A. Gregory deserves props for bending over the most of any soap hunk this year! It's like he had a checklist of categories he wanted to be nominated for and showed off those assets accordingly.
Soapgal: Was there a year when someone was on Nip/Tuck and was nude?
DC: Thad Luckinbill.
Jason: Personally, I think if David A. Gregory could top James Scott in the Adonis contest, his bottom will top him here, too.
DC: I believe David A. Gregory will win as well.
Soapgal: I agree. I think David A. Gregory wins this category.
DC: Kudos to Joshua Morrow for being nominated once again. He's dominated this category for quite a few years. I almost gave him a vote, as his butt still looks great!
Jason: I agree, DC.
Soapgal: It does!
DC: He may be the actor most nominated for Best Butt in the history of the awards.



BEST BUTT
WHO SHOULD WIN
WHO WILL WIN
Jason
Brandon Beemer
David A. Gregory
DC
David A. Gregory
David A. Gregory
Soapgal
David A. Gregory
David A. Gregory


Jason: Next is one of my favorite categories, Best Abs.  This is the other category that Beemer has a 5 year lock on. But will his lack of shirtlessness on B&B this year hurt him?
DC: I think it will, Jason.
Soapgal: Yeah, I agree. And I like this category, too. My vote went to...Mark Lawson!
DC: This one was tough, and it was hard to narrow down, I voted for Adam Gregory. His abs are fantastic
Soapgal: Add another one to David A. Gregory's win total.
DC: LOL.
Jason: All worthy nominees, but no contest for me: David A. Gregory.  And I agree, I think he will win as well.
DC: I think David will win, but I hope Adam pulls the upset. As long as one of the Gregorys win, I'll be happy.
Jason: LOL.
Soapgal: LOL.



BEST ABS
WHO SHOULD WIN
WHO WILL WIN
Jason
David A. Gregory
David A. Gregory
DC
Adam Gregory
David A. Gregory
Soapgal
Mark Lawson
David A. Gregory


Jason: Whose man boobs were most pec-tacular?
Soapgal: I went for Bren Foster here
DC: Another category overflowing with great nominees.
Jason: I totally agree.
Soapgal: Yes, these body categories are always stacked.
Jason: I really had a hard time deciding.
DC: I voted for Jordi Vilasuso. I realized just how much I missed having his gloriously healthy pecs on my television screen when he showed them off again.
Soapgal: LOL, he does have nice pecs.
Jason: I almost went for Jordi as well, but I ultimately decided on David A Gregory once again.
DC: I have to say despite his smaller frame, Chandler Massey has some massive pecs! I almost voted for him.
Soapgal: Yes, he does!
DC: In the end, I think this is David A. Gregory's category to win as well.
Jason: I think you're both right.


BEST PECS
WHO SHOULD WIN
WHO WILL WIN
Jason
David A. Gregory
David A. Gregory
DC
Jordi Vilasuso
David A. Gregory
Soapgal
Bren Foster
David A. Gregory

Jason: And the overall Best Torso?
DC: I went with (no surprise here) David A. Gregory. I really felt this one was a no contest choice.
Soapgal: Eric Martsolf for me. And props to the 40+ crowd representing in this category
DC: Yes! And the newcomers, Kelly & Foster.
Soapgal: True!
Jason: Since I voted for him in Abs and Pecs, I had to go with David A. Gregory as well.
And I think Gregory will win, too.
DC: I completely agree.
Soapgal: Me too.



BEST TORSO
WHO SHOULD WIN
WHO WILL WIN
Jason
David A. Gregory
David A. Gregory
DC
David A. Gregory
David A. Gregory
Soapgal
Eric Martsolf
David A. Gregory


Jason: And now I'm ashamed to say we must discuss Most Shamefully Clothed...
DC: I voted for Brandon Beemer, who I'm also sure will win this one. His lack of shirtless scenes this year has been criminal.
Jason: So did I, DC. A body that delicious should NEVER be covered up.
Soapgal: I went with Freddie Smith.
DC: I must say, Jason Cook's chances may be hurt by the fact that since the nominations came out, he's been shirtless quite a bit. He must have heard about this travesty and looked to rectify it immediately! LOL!
Soapgal: LOL.
Jason: LOL.
DC: It's been two years since he had a good shirtless scene, and he's had two in the last couple weeks.
Jason: “Llanview's Best Arms,” and now this?  Who says the soap writers don't pay attention to this site?
DC: LOL.
Jason: I will die of shock if Beemer doesn't win here.
DC: Yeah, I don't think the competition will prove to be as popular. Who doesn't want to see Beemer with his clothes off all the time??
Soapgal: Yeah, unless those Goddard fans have something to say about it.
DC: That could be the only roadblock for him, Soapgal.
Soapgal: Didn't he finish higher than Beemer in this year's Adonis contest?
DC: Yes, Beemer was totally off the radar, thanks to B&B sidelining him so much.
Jason: Are you being a rebel with your prediction Soapgal?
Soapgal: Yes, I am!
DC: Bravo for the variety of soaps represented in this category, too!
Soapgal: Yes, that was nice to see.



MOST SHAMEFULLY CLOTHED
WHO SHOULD WIN
WHO WILL WIN
Jason
Brandon Beemer
Brandon Beemer
DC
Brandon Beemer
Brandon Beemer
Soapgal
Freddie Smith
Daniel Goddard


Jason: And bravo to the new faces in the Hunkiest Newcomer category. All hunky in their own rights.
DC: Agreed. Another category with a nice diverse group of guys, too.
Soapgal: Yes! And OMG is that Sean Blakemore hot! He definitely got my vote.
DC: I also voted for the super hunky, Sean Blakemore, in one of General Hospital's few nominations. He is a very sexy hunk and a great addition to GH and to our site! I doubt he'll win, but he is more than deserving.
Soapgal: I could not agree more.
Jason: My mouse really wanted to click on Josh Kelly, but Bren Foster is just to die for.
DC: Ultimately, I think either Kelly or Foster will probably win this.
Soapgal: Yeah, my money is on Foster.
Jason: I think it will be Foster as well.
DC: I will also call Bren Foster as the victor on that one.
DC: Trischitta is cute, but not quite hunky enough, and Peter Porte has still not been shirtless on Y&R yet, so he's not so well-known.
Jason: Soapy really debated if Trischitta belonged here or not.
Soapgal: Yeah, in my opinion, Trischtta is not a hunk, he's a cute kid. And I had never heard of Peter Porte until this contest.
DC: I think the fact that both Porte & Trischitta are not-so-sexy villains could work against them as well.
Soapgal: True.



HUNKIEST NEWCOMER
WHO SHOULD WIN
WHO WILL WIN
Jason
Bren Foster
Bren Foster
DC
Sean Blakemore
Bren Foster
Soapgal
Sean Blakemore
Bren Foster


Jason: Which hunky guy do you miss the most?
DC: I voted for the biggest loss to daytime for me, DC....Thad Luckinbill! I miss you, Thad! Come back to daytime!
Soapgal: LOL, if you replaced Thad Luckinbill with Eddie Cibrian, you'd have my exact thoughts!
DC: It was a sentimental choice, of course. Thad is notorious for never winning our site's awards, until his final year of eligibility, when he finally won one.
Soapgal: Yeah, that's right, LOL.
Jason: Though I wanted to vote for Justin Hartley or Eddie Cibrian, I had to give my love to Greg Vaughan!
DC: This was the category I had the most complaints about. I still don't think Matthew Bomer is known for his time on daytime at all. It would have been better served to have someone a bit more prominent & popular, like Adrian Bellani or Jake Silbermann in this category.
Jason: Hard to call a winner here, though.  I think Cibrian is most in the spotlight, so I say he will win.
DC: Greg Vaughan shocked me last year by pulling out a victory. I wouldn't be surprised if it happened again.
Jason: You may very well be right, and I hope you are.  Greg's got devoted fans.
Soapgal: Yeah. this is an interesting category because none of these guys were on soaps that have fans who vote heavily in this contest.
DC: That's true Soapgal I think it will come down to who is most known outside of daytime, because of that.  The fact that only 2 of those soaps even exist now could be a factor as well. I think it helps Thad's chances since Y&R fans would still remember him!
Jason: Who do you predict, Soapgal?
Soapgal: I'd say Cibrian.



MOST MISSED
WHO SHOULD WIN
WHO WILL WIN
Jason
Greg Vaughan
Eddie Cibrian
DC
Thad Luckinbill
Greg Vaughan
Soapgal
Eddie Cibrian
Eddie Cibrian


Jason: And the Best Hunk Over 40 Category!  I can't believe Eric Martsolf can call this category home!
DC: Thanks to that thing that happened 4 months ago, he can!
Jason: All are hot, but Eric Martsolf got my vote.  Mercy!
Soapgal: Yes! Yes! Yes!
DC: I voted for Shawn Christian. It was actually an easy choice. His steamy romance on DAYS has been very good about showing off his hot body.  At 45, he's still got it!
Jason: No cancelling each other out either between the DAYS hunks.  I think Eric Martsolf will win this thing.
DC: I really think Shawn Christian will pull out the win. It won't surprise me if that other DAYS guy wins, though.
Soapgal: I'm hoping for Martsolf, and I'll go ahead and say he'll win.



BEST HUNK OVER 40
WHO SHOULD WIN
WHO WILL WIN
Jason
Eric Martsolf
Eric Martsolf
DC
Shawn Christian
Shawn Christian
Soapgal
Eric Martsolf
Eric Martsolf


Jason: So with all those hunks, is DAYS the hunkiest?  Or another of the nominees?
Soapgal: I had to go with One Life to Live.
Jason: I did, too.
DC: Yes, DAYS is the hunkiest! I voted for them. I looked over my ballot again, and realized I had voted for DAYS hunks the most and they are a hot bunch, so I voted for the show here. I don't think OLTL is as hunky as it once was. They have 3-4 really hot hunks, while DAYS sports like 8 really hot hunks for me.
Jason: I have a feeling DAYS will win, DC.
Soapgal: That wouldn't surprise me.
DC: Good, because I'm picking them to win as well.



HUNKIEST SOAP
WHO SHOULD WIN
WHO WILL WIN
Jason
One Life to Live
Days of Our Lives
DC
Days of Our Lives
Days of Our Lives
Soapgal
One Life to Live
Days of Our Lives


Jason: And now, it's time to discuss the big one.  Who is the Best Hunk of 2011?
DC: First off, these are all very worthy contenders!
Jason: Soapy created some great For Your Consideration videos to help us decide.
Soapgal: Yes, he did.
DC: The videos were great.
Soapgal: I went with Bren Foster.
DC: Though I believe that David A. Gregory will win, I voted for my sentimental favorite, the super hunky Jordi Vilasuso.
Soapgal: He still has it, that's for sure.
DC: Yes, he does. With my luck, he'll probably get 5th place!
Jason: LOL.
Soapgal: That wouldn't surprise me, unfortunately.
Jason: The videos helped me decide on David A. Gregory, who I also think will win.
Soapgal: I think it's a clean sweep for David A. Gregory.
DC: Yes, I agree.
DC: Bravo to the newcomers, Foster & Kelly again for breaking through in this category as well.
Jason: It's worth pointing out here that 4 of out of the 5 Best Hunk nominees are first timers.  David A. Gregory's the only one who's been here before.
Soapgal: That's cool.
DC: It should make us hopeful for the future of daytime hunkery!
Jason: Should being the key word.
Soapgal: Well, maybe for foster
DC: Considering 3 of these guys won't be eligible next year unless they join another soap, it's a bit sad.
Soapgal: Yes, it is.
DC: I'm hoping these awards results won't be so bittersweet, but it may just be that way.
Soapgal: I know. It's hard not to think about the fact that two of these shows won't be around this time next year.



BEST HUNK
WHO SHOULD WIN
WHO WILL WIN
Jason
David A. Gregory
David A. Gregory
DC
Jordi Vilasuso
David A. Gregory
Soapgal
Bren Foster
David A. Gregory

Jason: It's definitely always fun to see how many we got right, though.
DC: Yes, Jason. The round table is always fun as well.
Soapgal: That's true. I never do well.
DC: LOL, me either.
Jason: Soapy revels in giving us a hard time about it.
Soapgal: I know, like he could do any better.
DC: LOL, exactly!
Jason: Any final non-depressing thoughts?
DC: LOL.
Soapgal: Yes...go Mark!
DC: Congratulations to all the hunks nominated!
Jason: Yes, we salute your hunkery!
DC: And keep your fingers crossed. This may be closer than you think!
Jason: Thanks for joining me again this year to talk it all out.
Soapgal: My pleasure. This is always fun.
DC: It was fun.
Jason: I'm sure folks are talking all of this over in coffee shops and bars everywhere.  LOL.
Soapgal: LOL.
Jason: Or at least on Twitter and Facebook.
DC: LOL.
Soapgal: Now that probably will happen.
Jason: Happy voting everyone!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home