Newcomers, Salemites dominate nominations for 15th Annual Soaphunks.net Awards
Daytime freshmen Nathan Owens of DAYS and Rob Wilson of AMC each racked up a record-tying eight nominations to lead all studs in the 15th Annual Soaphunks.net Award nominations, announced Sunday at soaphunks.net. Eighty nominations were announced covering 16 categories.
- Until this year, only one African-American had ever placed in the Best Hunk race (Y&R's Shemar Moore in 1999). With Owens and St. Victor up this year, African-Americans grabbed two of the top category's spots. In fact, the inclusions throughout the ballot of hunks like GH's Sean Blakemore, OLTL's Corbin Bleu and Y&R's Redaric Williams & Lamon Archey helped make this the best year ever for black soap hunks.
- Two more nominations for GH's Tyler Christopher put him in sole possession of an unfortunate record: the most nominations (15) without any wins. Will this be his year to finally win?
- The Hunkiest Newcomer race was clearly its most competitive in years, as nominations leaders Owens & Wilson were joined by Williams, OLTL's Robert Gorrie and DAYS' Casey Moss. Left out were the otherwise eligible Bleu, as well as DAYS' Sean Douglas, AMC's Ryan Bittle, GH's Bryan Craig, and Y&R's Lamon Archey & Hartley Sawyer.
- For the first time since 2005, the winningest soap hunk of all time, Brandon Beemer, is not nominated in any caegory.
- Two of the Best Hunk nominees (Dapper and Owens) have already departed their respective soaps, while Wilson's entire show seems to be on permanent hiatus.